- 2 lbs ground beef, preferably ground chuck at 20% fat content
Note - Feel free to use 1 1/2 pounds of beef and 1/2 pound of pork, or any mix of beef, pork and veal to get to 2 pounds total.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 c)
- 1/4 c dried onion
Note - You can use 1 c of chopped onion and omit the dried onion if you prefer. I use the dried onion as a holdover from my mother's Swedish Meatball recipe because I like the flavor and texture it adds.
- 1/2 - 3/4 c chopped peppers (optional)
Note - The addition of peppers will alter the flavor of the meatloaf, especially green bell pepper. I like to add poblano peppers because they have some heat and also a more subtle flavor than green bells. You can also use red or yellow bell peppers which tend to be sweeter in flavor.
- 3/4 c dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 c fresh flat leaf parsley, minced (optional)
- 2 t salt, or use your favorite spice blend
- 1/2 t celery seed
- 1/2 t granulated garlic
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 1/2 c milk, or chicken or beef stock if dairy is an issue
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 c ketchup