1. Melt the butter and set aside to cool
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the corn meal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and pepper
3. After the butter is cooled, in a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, the eggs and the butter
4. Have the peppers and the grated cheese ready to add
5. Add the vegetable oil to an 8 inch cast iron skillet and place the skillet in the oven
6. Preheat the oven to 400 ° F
7. When the oven is preheated, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated
8. Fold in the peppers and grated cheese
9. Remove the pan from the oven and add the batter to the hot pan. Be careful here, everything is very hot. And remember to use a potholder or glove when handling the pan. Sometimes we forget the pan is hot when we see it sitting on top of the stove.
10. Using a potholder, return the pan to the oven and bake for about 25 minutes. When it is done a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean. Start checking at 20 minutes.
11. Remove the cornbread from the oven when it is golden brown and the toothpick comes out clean.
12. Very carefully, because everything is extremely hot, slide the cornbread out of the pan onto a cooling rack.