Cornbread is one of those things that go with pretty much anything. Whether it is a bowl of soup or maybe some gumbo or red beans and rice, it is sure to keep everyone happy. The addition of cheddar cheese, diced green chiles and jalapeno peppers makes this bread a little different and a whole lot more flavorful. So give it a try. Enjoy!
Jalapeno and Cheddar Cornbread
I prefer using a fine ground cornmeal in this rather than a stone ground which is much more coarse. I would start with the fine variety and then later you can decide if you want something with a little more crunch.
Fine Cornmeal vs. Stone Ground Cornmeal
1. Melt the butter and set aside to cool
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the corn meal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and pepper
Dry Ingredients in a Mixing Bowl
Dry Ingredients Mixed
3. After the butter is cooled, in a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, the eggs and the butter
Wet Ingredients in a Bowl
4. Have the peppers and the grated cheese ready to add
Can of Diced Green Chiles
Green Chiles in the Can
Jalapenos Before Chopping
Cheddar Cheese Ready to Go
5. Add the vegetable oil to an 8 inch cast iron skillet and place the skillet in the oven
8 inch Cast Iron Skillet
Cast Iron Skillet with Oil Added
6. Preheat the oven to 400 ° F
7. When the oven is preheated, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated
Add the Wet Ingredients to the Dry Ingredients
Mix the Wet and Dry Ingredients Together
8. Fold in the peppers and grated cheese
Add Cheese, Chiles and Jalapenos to the Bowl
Mixed Everything Together in the Bowl
9. Remove the pan from the oven and add the batter to the hot pan. Be careful here, everything is very hot. And remember to use a potholder or glove when handling the pan. Sometimes we forget the pan is hot when we see it sitting on top of the stove.
Add the Batter to the Hot Pan (Note the bubbling of the oil around the outside)
10. Using a potholder, return the pan to the oven and bake for about 25 minutes. When it is done a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean. Start checking at 20 minutes.
11. Remove the cornbread from the oven when it is golden brown and the toothpick comes out clean.
Cornbread Out of the Oven
12. Very carefully, because everything is extremely hot, slide the cornbread out of the pan onto a cooling rack.
Cornbread on Rack to Cool
Bottom of the Cooked Cornbread